Monday, January 14, 2008

Busy bee, Busy Me

2008 has really been my year of knitting so far. I have either been working on quick, satisfying projects or trying to complete some of my many, many WIPs. I have to get some WIPs out of the way so I can start some fabulous new projects I have planned but don't want to start with so many incomplete projects!

The main item I want to make is a sweater. I really want to knit a nice., nice sweater. With some super soft alpaca yarn I have and something I could not buy in a store. I don't want it overly complicated and ornate, but simplistic beauty. I've been on the hunt for a pattern for a while.

I also want to make a Fair Isle vest - and I have some other Fair Isle projects in mind. Fingerless gloves, a headband, a hat/tam (with more than just 2 colors).

So much to do, so little time. But this blog is to catch up on my busy January.

First of all - it's my mother's birthay month. She had commented that she liked a crochet scarf I had made - the color of the yarn. So I decided to knit her a scarf in that color for her birthday.

IMG00091.jpg

I love that color way too. It's Moda Dea Sassy Stripes in the Crush Colorway - I made it on Size 5 needles. I'm thinking about making a matching hat for her, but I haven't decided on a pattern. The pattern I used is the same one I used for the teacher's scarves. It's so fast, but it's nice and chunky feeling.

I love that pattern so much - I wanted to make one for me.

IMG00095.jpg

I'm using SWS in Natural Russet, needle size 7. This is my first time using this yarn, though its been in my stash for a while. It's a nice feeling yarn - although a bit hairy. It also sheds. I'm interested to see how the scarf will wear after a while and if the cables will stay nice looking or if it will get floppy due to the single ply and fuzziness. I want to wear this before I make anything bigger in this yarn. I knit so loosly, I don't want to make something larger with the yarn only to have it descend into a loose, floopy mess in a few washings. I would be very dissappointed.

Next up is a pair of socks that I have been working on for a while. Well actually, I completed everything but the heel in July, and then lost interest. So - last week I finally put in the heels.

img014.jpg

img015.jpg

The yarn is Ditto and Pace by Universal yarns. I bought it at Rave Knits when the Universal ladies would come and visit. I liked how both yarns knitted, not super luxurious like the merinos I love, but they seem to be longer wearing that some of my merino socks.

img016.jpg

Here are another pair of socks that were unfinished. These were on hold at the heel. I don't know why I loose interest at the 2nd heel, but that is my typical stopping point and it take me to get on one of my finishing kicks to pick it back up again. I'm working on wrapping these up this week. They are knit with XXL purchased at Knit One Stitch Too. I love XXL yarn colors, but the yarn is a bit splitty, not my favorite to work with. These are a set of sock yarns I purchased to wear with jeans.

Once complete - I have to finish these two Fleece Artist Merino socks:

IMG00087.jpg

IMG00088.jpg

Aren't the yarns just simply wonderful? I love the colors the dyers choose. I'm having a hard time giving these socks away. I think that's why I haven't finished them yet.

I didn't make this hat - but I helped! Ashley - a young lady that I know and helped (along with my sister) teach to knit - wanted to make a hat. I helped her get started with this Stitch and Bitch hat. Didn't she do a fabulous job!!

IMG00089.jpg

Joleen has already been named by her "twin" Janeen. It's Janeen's 9th year birthday present from mommy. I have to get her and her clothes done by Friday!! I'm sort of making up the pattern as I go along because I forgot I gave my crochet toy book to my sister! So I didn't have a pattern to use. But so far - it's working out although the hands are a bit weird looking!

img011.jpg

And last but not least - I had to start another tam. This is the #2 version, and I think one of the easist of the bunch because there are several rows with just one of the two yarns.

IMG00096.jpg

I guess you can tell I've been in a lot of phone meetings! :) My favorite time to knit, it keeps me listening and not doing email. At least that is what I tell myself!

6 comments:

Virtuous said...

Yeah!! You sure have been in a lot of phone meetings!! My goodness! :o)

Happy Birthday Month Mom! I am liking the SWS scarf you can really see the stitch pattern with that one. Hopefully it will hold up!

And oooh your socks! Wow! You really are cranking those out!
Now I know who I need to talk to about get my sock knitting on! :oD

Lovin' the tam! Sounds like I need to start with this tam since there is not that much changing of yarns...;o)

Keep on knitting!!

Deborah said...

love that tam, and the colors are so nice!

craft-chick said...

Wow, you have been busy! Everything looks so great! And I love the colors in that Natural Russet yarn, that scarf is gorgeous!

doreen said...

You've been super busy. I love the jeans socks and the new fair isle hat. A birdy told me you have a knack for picking out colors for projects and I believe they were right ;)
I can't wait to meet Joleen. I know of a place where she will just love to hang out with Flo.

Connie said...

And I thought I knit all the time...you put me to shame...LOL

Great projects and gorgeous yarns!

Janet Richards said...

Thank everyone for the encouragement and nice comments. I'm having fun in Concord :)