Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Grandma's Checkerboard Lace - My latest obsession

I found this pattern in the book "Best of Knitters: Shawls and Scarves" called "Grandma's Checkboard Lace". And I guess b/c it's easy and rather mindless, easy to rip out and correct - I've fallen in love with it. I made a lace scarf and shawl. And I have 2 more shawls in progress. It works nice with both sportweight and lace weight yarn.

The Scarf is made out of Knit Picks Lace yarn Glossamer, color is Caribbean.It was nice to work with - easy and faster than I thought. I made it with size 6 needles. Th e orignal pattern calls for Size 7 needs and sportweight yarn. The merino in the yarn looks like it might pill eventually, so I don't think I would make it in a shawl. I am making a shawl now using KnitPicks Shimmer. The silk added to the yarn makes it seem less likely to pill over time.



The shawl is made with Koigu, one of the yummiest yarns imaginable! It is so soft. I made it with size 7 needles. I made it a bit shorter than the pattern calls for - and it took 6 hanks of Koigu. Boy is it nice. This is a gift shawl, but I promptly started one with pinks, purples and greens for me!

1 comment:

doreen said...

these are both nice. I can't wait to see them in person.